"All what is correct
thinking is either mathematics or feasible to be transposed in a
Grigore C. Moisil (1906 - 1973)
Computer Pioneer Award of IEEE Computer Society (IEEE - 1996)
|Romanian mathematician, Professor at the University of Bucharest – Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science, member of the Romanian Academy, member of the Academy of Sciences in Bologna and of the International Institute of Philosophy
"The informatics/computer science re-establishes not only the unity between the pure and the applied mathematical sciences, the concrete technique and the concrete mathematics, but also that between the natural sciences, the human being and the society. It restores the concepts of the abstract and the formal and makes peace between arts and science not only in the scientist' conscience, but in their philosophy as well." Grigore C. Moisil
- He published mainly in the fields of mathematical analysis, algebra,
mathematical logic, geometry, mechanics. Some of his most important
contributions were made in the field of algebraic theory for automatic
- New analysis and synthesis methods for finite automata as well as a
structure theory on them are also due to Professor Grigore Moisil.
- He extended D. Pompeiu's areolas derivative to a multi-dimensional space
and analyses the monogenic functions of hyper complex variable, with
applications in mechanics.
- He introduced what he called Lukasiewicz trivalent, multi-valets algebras
and applied them in logic and the study of switching circuits.
- Grigore Moisil 's name is also associated with those who, in Romania,
introduced the first electronic computers and worked on them.
Computer Pioneer Award of IEEE Computer Society (1996) -
http://www.computer.org ( Computer Pioneer Award 1990-1999 , Grigore C. Moisil -"For polyvalent logic switching circuits")
- About Gr. C. Moisil - International Journal of Computers, Communications & Control (IJCCC), Vol. 1 (2006), No. 1, (Print : ISSN 1841 - 9836, Online : ISSN 1841 – 984); Article: Grigore C. Moisil: A Life Becoming a Myth, Author: Solomon Marcus [LINK], Article: Grigore C. Moisil (1906 - 1973) and his School in Algebraic Logic, Authors: George Georgescu, Afrodita Iorgulescu, Sergiu Rudeanu[LINK]
- About Gr. C. Moisil - Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia (Grigore C. Moisil)[see External Links]
Main works: "La mécanique analytique des systems continues" (1929), "Logique
modale" (1942), "Introduction to Algebra" (1954), "Algebraic Theory of Automatic
Devices"" (1959), "Transistor Circuits" (2 volumes, 1961-1962).
100 years since the birth of
GRIGORE C. MOISIL
January 10, 2006, University of Bucharest –
Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science